About SOS


SOS News
Wildlife Alerts
Our Animals
SOS Store
Volunteer at SOS
Fundraising Activities
Our Wishlist
Contact SOS




Click on the thumbnail below to see more
cleanup photos

Click here for more photos




The Center sustained a considerable
amount of wind damage to a large
number of trees on the property. Much of the protective shade the primates needed was destroyed. Many of the paths on the property were also blocked with fallen trees and limbs. Volunteers helped cut down the damaged trees and broken limbs.

Our friends needed our help and we gave it:

These are pictures taken Saturday August 21st. on our volunteer day at the Center for Great Apes in Wauchula. SOS in conjunction with the Roots & Shoots kids that have volunteered here for 3 yrs, traveled to Wachula to help clear the debris left by hurricane Charley. By the time we left Saturday, almost all the paths were open again and a lot of the smaller debris had been moved to piles the heavy equipment could remove. Thanks to everyone who came and helped another sanctuary in their time of need.

Judy Watson

During a break the volunteers get a tour of the compound and find out more about the residents.

Debris being removed
from the grounds


SOS Volunteer vehicles

The SOS cleanup crew while they were still clean

End of the day crew

  Radcliff says thank you!  

Dear Friends,

First.... all the humans, 5 orangutans, 14 chimpanzees, and 6 dogs at the Center for Great Apes are safe and unharmed.

Our telephones have just come back on this afternoon, and a helpful friend has hooked our computer up to a generator. It's the first time I've been in touch with emails coming in since last week before the hurricane. Thank you for all the emails, calls, and prayers for the sanctuary.

We were slammed Friday evening at 6 p.m. by the eye of Hurricane Charley packing 145 mph winds. From the way the trees at one part of the property are twisted in different directions, it appears we were also hit by tornado or vortex winds.

We had begun preparations for the storm on Thursday when we first heard that it was heading towards Tampa. We expected some very heavy winds, but not more than 60 to 80 mph if it continued up the Gulf coast as predicted. Friday morning, we were still preparing and boarding up thinking we would certainly get some very strong winds... but not the full impact of the hurricane. Then, around 2 p.m. the radio reported that Charley had taken a turn to the east, was heading "dead on" towards Wauchula, and would be at least a Category 4 when it hit us... and possibly a Cat 5. I can't describe the sinking feeling and the near panic when we heard that, because suddenly no preparations seemed adequate.

Each of our staff and interns bunkered down in one of the ape nighthouses at 5 p.m. with the apes, our provisions, and our walkie-talkies. The brunt of the storm hit us at 6 p.m. and didn't let up until 8 or later. It was very frightening as we were each alone in the different nighthouses, but having the walkie-talkies helped us to stay calm knowing that each person and
"their" apes were okay. While trees were crashing around us (and on us) outside, we fed the apes, talked to them, and tried to calm them. (Christopher made his first "long-calls" that we've heard from him for nearly 3 hours... and Grub was very frightened. All the apes seemed stressed... and wanted to come to touch our hands frequently for reassurance after they peeked out the windows. Knuckles slept throughout the storm!)

When we emerged from the nighthouses, it was nearly dark and with 12' of debris in every direction, we were completely disoriented. But we found the arch of the chute system and walked underneath the chutes to get back to the human houses.

The ape facilities (indoor and outdoor) appear to be intact, .... the human houses have only a few holes in the roofs, (with huge trees still laying on top of the houses), ....front and back patios smashed....but for the most part, the buildings are relatively undamaged. (Good ol' geodesic domes!) However, there are many repairs to be made. The pump house was crushed
under an oak tree... camera and water lines were unearthed by uprooted trees...our 8' perimeter chain link fence is down in a number of areas felled by oaks... wood fences around the ape habitats are down.... and some sections of the chute system appear to be damaged by huge trees still lying on top of them. Amazingly, the rickety 95-year-old barn & outhouse are
still standing!

While we were euphoric to have all the people and animals safe... and the facilities intact, it's heartbreaking to see the devastation of our once beautiful tropical wooded sanctuary. Many of our largest oak trees are toppled... some with root systems sticking up in the air 15' high. It's hard to tell at this point (because there is debris everywhere), but it appears that we lost about 50% of our trees...with many more trees looking like they're going over soon. And, we've lost 100% of our shade-cover
which is difficult for humans and apes alike.

We were told that our power would take 2 to 4 weeks to restore... which means our water is out also. It's been very difficult in this sweltering heat to provide care and fresh produce to our 19 apes without power and refrigeration. But with the help of some wonderful friends bringing us generators, we've been able to hook up our water pump and our walk-in cooler. And lots of people have delivered drinking water for the apes & volunteers.... gas for the generators... and tools, food, and batteries to
keep us going.

We have months and months of work ahead to clear the property of trees and debris.... especially to limit the fire hazard in the dry season. Volunteers from Miami, Tampa, Sarasota, Orlando, Ft. Myers, and all over Florida have been coming daily to our aid to help with this back-breaking and sweltering work. We are so grateful for this help and such wonderful kindness!

And some GREAT NEWS today is that our power is expected to be back on by the end of this week.... much earlier than first predicted!!!

Volunteers have made a huge dent in less than a week.... Last Saturday and Sunday, we couldn't even find the paths or reach all the apes without climbing over trees. Today, most of the paths are cleared and all the apes are finally able to go outside into their habitats. (However, until we assess the damage to the chute system, they cannot walk out in the chutes yet.) We still must remove hundreds of dying trees...& thousands of dead limbs. Much of this volunteers can do, but most of the heavy tree-removal
(especially on the houses) will have to be done by a professional tree removal service (when we can find one!).

We can use help with this for many weeks and months to come..... so please call or email if you can trim trees, haul logs, or rake branches. If you do come, we won't need gas or water or batteries any more.... but we will need tools, gloves, protective goggles, etc.

I know this is way too long for an email... but since we've been unable to communicate to anyone this week... I have so many things to report!

MOST IMPORTANT.... I am very thankful for so many wonderful caring friends and supporters. This week has been very overwhelming... but your concern and help have bolstered us enormously.

With gratitude,

Patti & staff

Center for Great Apes



frontline plus
frontline plus